Step 1: Determine eligibility
Arizona residents are eligible to apply for services if a competent authority* certifies one of the following conditions:
- Blind persons whose visual acuity, as determined by competent authority, is 20/200 or less in the better eye with correcting lenses, or whose widest diameter of visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than 20 degrees.
- Persons whose visual disability, with correction and regardless of optical measurement, is certified by competent authority as preventing the reading of standard printed material.
- Persons certified by competent authority as unable to read or unable to use standard printed material as a result of physical limitations (for example: cannot hold a book, turn pages, or move the eyes to read).
- Persons certified by competent authority as having a perceptual or reading disability and unable to read printed works to substantially the same degree as a person without an impairment or disability.
This includes individuals who have had a qualifying disability from birth, individuals who are disabled because of medical conditions or trauma, and individuals who become disabled as they age. Individuals who have a temporary disability may qualify for service on a temporary basis.
Individuals who are blind or have a physical disability and who have been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States receive special priority.
*Regarding NLS eligibility, “competent authority” is defined to include:
- Doctors of medicine or osteopathy, ophthalmologists, optometrists, registered nurses, and therapists.
- Professional staff of hospitals, institutions, and public or private welfare agencies, such as an educator, social worker, case worker, counselor, rehabilitation teacher, certified reading specialist, school psychologist, superintendent, or librarian.
The qualifying visual or physical disability may be either temporary or permanent.
If you have any questions, please contact the library.
Step 2: Submit an Application
There are two ways to obtain an application:
- Contact the Arizona Talking Book Library to request a print application form. Submit a request by email or call 602-255-5578; outside the Phoenix area 800-255-5578.
- Fill out the online application form, print it, have it certified and mail or fax it to the Talking Book Library (form cannot be submitted online).