Have fun. Learn something new. Make a difference.
Digital Machine Repair
Time commitment: Two-four hours once a week.
- Learn to repair digital cartridge machines that play talking books.
- Enjoy the camaraderie of working with a group of volunteers.
- Some mechanical knowledge is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Repair group meets in Phoenix.
Outreach Volunteers / Public Speakers
Time commitment: Flexible schedule. Must be able to commit to three events per calendar year.
- Give talks about Library services to small or large groups.
- Maintain display booths at community events.
- Must have transportation.
Time commitment: Flexible. Individual volunteers structure their own schedule.
- Contacting an individual staff person at any residential or health related organization that has people who could use the talking book service.
- Relating information about services and offer the possibility of having a speaker present to a larger group.
- Good phone conversation skills required. Email capabilities are encouraged.
Time commitment: Two-to-three hours once a week for a minimum of three months.
- Provide clerical support to technical services, public services, machines services, and special services staff.
- Enter data into the computer.
- Prepare labels and containers for audio books.
- Inspect and repair recorded books in the mailroom.
Recording Studio Volunteers
Time commitment: Two-to-four hours once a week for six months or until a book project is completed.
- Reader records either full-length books or magazines. Reader works with a director.
- Director operates recording software, follows along in the print text, and gives the reader feedback. The director controls the recording session.
- Reviewer listens to a recording, compares it to a print copy, and makes written notations if there are any problems.
- Editor listens to sound tracks and views the WAV files. Editors remove extraneous noises, breathing, and pauses.