Have fun. Learn something new. Make a difference.
The library benefits from the contributions of volunteers in the Phoenix area and across the state. Please contact us to find out which opportunities are currently available.
Digital Machine Repair
Time commitment: Two-four hours once a week.
- Learn to repair digital cartridge machines that play talking books.
- Enjoy the camaraderie of working with a group of volunteers.
- Some mechanical knowledge is helpful, but not mandatory.
- Repair group meets in Phoenix.
Outreach Volunteers / Public Speakers
Time commitment: Flexible schedule. Must be able to commit to three events per calendar year.
- Give talks about Library services to small or large groups.
- Maintain display booths at community events.
- Must have transportation.
Time commitment: Flexible. Individual volunteers structure their own schedule.
- Contacting an individual staff person at any residential or health related organization that has people who could use the talking book service.
- Relating information about services and offer the possibility of having a speaker present to a larger group.
- Good phone conversation skills required. Email capabilities are encouraged.
Recording Studio Volunteers
Time commitment: Two-to-four hours once a week for six months or until a book project is completed.
- Reader records either full-length books or magazines. Reader works with a director.
- Director operates recording software, follows along in the print text, and gives the reader feedback. The director controls the recording session.
- Reviewer listens to a recording, compares it to a print copy, and makes written notations if there are any problems.
- Editor listens to sound tracks and views the WAV files. Editors remove extraneous noises, breathing, and pauses.