Library Development provides Library Practitioner Certification for non-MLS public library staff seeking recognition for professional development and training related to their library duties.
- High school diploma or GED
- 2,000 hours of library work (paid or volunteer) within 5 years prior to application
- 162 contact hours (minimum) of documented training in specified Core Competencies completed within 5 years prior to application
- Required every 3 years to retain Certification
- 45 contact hours documented training in any Core Competencies
Core Competency Categories
Core Competencies were developed as part of the Continuum of Library Education project funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. They are intended to help library staff develop realistic expectations of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed by library practitioners.
Core Competency Descriptions
Arizona State Library, Archives & Public Records continuing education offerings and other courses, trainings, and webinars from organizations such as Infopeople, ALA, Webjunction, etc. may be used for certification.