Reference and Instruction Librarian
Please refer to their website for accuracy and up-to-date details.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Job Title: Reference/Instruction Librarian
Department: University Library
Reports to: University Librarian & Interim Director Academic Support Center in Lisle, IL
Status: Full-Time, Benefit Eligible
Location: Mesa Campus
Position Summary: Provides reference assistance and library collection maintenance to the Benedictine University Library in Mesa, AZ. Participates in the library instruction program on the Mesa Campus, and provides some academic support for students in need of proctoring, tutoring, and accommodation support. This is an on-campus position, with an option to work remotely one day a week. The hours are 10am-6pm Monday-Friday.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
1. Provide reference assistance to students, faculty, and staff using electronic, print and other library resources. Working in collaboration with reference and instruction librarians on the Lisle campus, develop and maintain subject-specific guides to resources and strategies beneficial to users, i.e. Research Guides, pathfinders, etc. Implements collection development policy related to the reference collection in specified subject areas. Selects new reference materials in consultation with other librarians.
2. Participates in the general instructional program through designing, adapting, planning, and conducting instruction sessions to encourage the development of information literacy skills on and off campus. Works closely with faculty to collaborate instructional needs to fit the students’ needs.
3. Assist the Director of the Academic Support Center in Lisle, IL to schedule and administer tests for students with approved testing accommodations. Communicate with faculty regarding test conditions and testing arrangements. Work remotely with the Academic Support Center in Lisle, IL to ensure that learning materials are prepared or modified for students with specific academic accommodations.
4. Performs basic circulation and inter-library loan functions as necessary.
5. Assists with the identification, hiring, training, and evaluation of student study skills and student success skills tutors.
1. Participates in library staff meetings and training activities as requested.
2. Participates in library virtual chat alongside Lisle, IL reference and instruction library staff.
Education: MLS from an ALA accredited institution or equivalent
Experience: Library experience preferred.
Specific Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, reference skills, including reference interview skills, technology skills, problem solving skills. Excellent collaboration skills working with students, faculty, and staff, both remotely and in person is preferred.
Specific Knowledge, Licenses, Certifications: No
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
Use of computer screen, phone and customer service.
May require bending, or sitting for long periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The following of campus specific guidelines for pandemic protocols are required.
Travel (If applicable): No
Supervisory Responsibility (if applicable): None.
Working Conditions: Usual office environmental conditions
Training: As a University employee you are required to complete all University-specific and/or OSHA related training to fulfill your job duties. Specific training will be conducted online or in person. Employees must complete all trainings required by Benedictine University.