Lead Reference Librarian
Please refer to their website for accuracy and up-to-date details.
The State of Arizona Research Library is looking for a Lead Reference Librarian, eager to make a difference for those researching Arizona’s people, places, history, and government. If you thrive in a culture of curiosity, learning, customer service, and information access, please consider joining the State of Arizona Research Library team at the Arizona State Library.
The Lead Reference Librarian plays a critical role within the State of Arizona Research Library team to ensure patrons have expedited, accurate, and relevant access to both physical and online collections that tell the story of Arizona's history and government.
The librarian will:
- Respond to reference questions.
- Triage reference questions requiring subject expertise to collection managers.
- Coordinate with the Lead Reference Archivist when researchers need materials from both Library and Archival collections.
- Collaborate with collection managers to develop and improve findings aids for Research Library collections.
- Set appointments, gather needed materials, and monitor researchers in the Reading Room.
- Participate in and co-lead trainings with the Lead Reference Archivist for the Reading Room desk associates and other library and archives staff, as needed.
Additional responsibilities include using their knowledge of Research Library collections to create and schedule social media posts, blog posts, and more.
This position is a part of the State of Arizona Research Library team at the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records, reporting to the Research Library Assistant Administrator. This position must work collaboratively with Research Library team members, as well as other Library Services and Archives staff.
- Reference and Research Supports. Provide in‐depth research and reference assistance for patrons in person, and via phone and email. Coordinate with Lead Reference Archivist and Research Library collection managers as necessary. Participate in and co-lead trainings for the Reading Room desk associates and other library and archives staff, as needed. Set appointments, gather materials, and monitor researchers in the Reading Room. Create, evaluate, and update research supports such as finding aids, LibGuides, and website content.
- Outreach, Marketing, and Collaboration. Assist with outreach efforts to the greater public, including creation of content for the Research Library’s social media channels and blog page. Collaborate with other staff and institutions through participation in professional groups and conferences such as ALA and AzLA.
- Other duties as assigned as related to the position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of Arizona and Southwest history, literature, government and/or geography
- Knowledge of online library content tools (such as SirsiDynix and Springshare), practices, and search methods
- Skilled with working with researchers to determine their needs, and finding appropriate materials
- Skilled with creation of finding aids to assist with discovery
- Skilled with writing online content for social media platforms
- Skilled with the use of Microsoft office, spreadsheets, databases, content management systems, web design tools and online platforms
- Skilled with the management of library system workflows
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment with diverse groups of people, including both technical and non-technical staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Ability to lift, carry and pull up to 30 pounds
Previous experience working in a special or academic library is preferred
- AZ Driver’s License
- MA in Library Science, History, or related degree is required.
- Library experience, including customer service and reference and research assistance, is preferred.