Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification. Shown are duties intended to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional, position-specific duties.
Manages Youth Services division including planning and implementation of children’s programs.
Supervises, trains and evaluates assigned staff; participates in interviewing and selecting new employees and volunteers; determines work schedules.
Submits budget requests and administers operational supplies for the division.
Assists with the preparation and submission of grant proposals and monitors the expenditure of the grant funds received; directs special projects.
Responsible for report writing and division statistics.
May be the Person in Charge on nights and/or weekends at the Main Library.
Participates in meetings and activities with outside agencies and organizations.
Organizes and supervises Youth programs such as story times, puppet shows, craft programs, special interest speakers, and large annual events and festivals.
Plans and implements workshops for public and staff; develops and creates flyers, informational brochures, and internal slides to promote programs.
Provides customer services and reference service at the Youth Information Desk.
Responsible for collection development and book selection.
Plans and conducts tours, speeches to groups, and special programs for public and private schools.
Serves as a liaison for the Library District’s branch libraries.
Utilizes social media to promote the Library.
Creates displays to promote library use.
Regular and reliable attendance is required.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern librarianship;
- Knowledge of youth psychology relating to public library services;
- Knowledge of library information tools including print resources and computer databases;
- Knowledge of children’s and young adult authors, materials, and selection tools;
- Knowledge of children and young adult reader interest levels;
- Knowledge of principles and practices of supervision.
- Skill in computer operations and automated systems;
- Skill in providing effective customer-oriented service;
- Skill in providing instruction in the use of computer and print information resources;
- Skill in conducting research using computerized databases and the internet;
- Skill in supervising the work of others;
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public;
- Skill in communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to use modern office equipment and computers.
- Ability to supervise, organize, direct and evaluate staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and written.
- Ability in planning and organizing work.
- Ability to lift at least 5 -10 lbs.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, and/or kneeling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires 60% sitting, 20% walking and 20% standing. Working at a computer monitor for extended periods required. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and under extreme likelihood of verbal abuse from hostile and frustrated customers.
Education, Experience, Certifications and Licenses Required:
Master’s degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited college or university and three (3) years of experience in youth services in a library environment; and two (2) years of supervisory experience; OR any combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Special requirements: Successful completion of a background check may be required. Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.