Under minimal supervision provides cataloging services, leads technical services staff, monitors and maintains the bibliographic database, and provides training on cataloging processes and standards to the members of the Yavapai Library Network (YLN).
Major Duties, Responsibilities
Responsible for processing and cataloging library materials for the YLN, including creating original bibliographic records, copy cataloging, authority control, changing existing records as needed, and processing materials. (65%)
Develops curriculum and training materials in order to conduct training for YLN member library personnel on cataloging concepts, processes and procedures. Assesses and tracks the progress of YLN member library personnel. (10%)
Responsible for monitoring the integrity of all bibliographic and holdings records for the Yavapai Library Network. (10%)
Oversees cataloging and technical services staff in the provision of all cataloging services. (5%)
Interacts with YLN member library staff to solve problems (5%).
Performs other job related duties as assigned (5%).
- Possess and maintain knowledge on standard library cataloging practices, principles, methods and technical service processes.
- Attend Yavapai Library Network User Group meetings when applicable.
- Knowledge of MARC and RDA bibliographic cataloging standards.
- Keep up-to-date on emerging cataloging standards.
- Knowledge of Dewey Decimal, Library of Congress, and Superintendent of Documents classification schemes.
- Assist with special projects related to cataloging and technical services.
- Prioritize work, meet deadlines and make independent decisions.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing including following written and oral instructions.
- Manage several different cataloging practices and procedures for a variety of different libraries.
- Master's in Library Science or related field.
- Three year's experience cataloging or training staff in a library or library system.
Other Skills, Preferences
Courtesy, tact, and diplomacy are essential elements of the job. Work involves personal contact with others inside and/or outside the county for the purposes of giving or obtaining information, building relationships, making reports, or soliciting cooperation.
Basic Windows skills, MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, developing policies and procedures, and creating training manuals and ability to train staff.