Grand Canyon University’s library is seeking a part time Reference Librarian. This position provides high quality, customer-focused reference services to individuals and groups as well as providing education on the use of the library and its resources, including individual, classroom, and web-based instruction. Supports the continuous improvement of instructional programs and practices that impact student learning.
The hours for this position are Thursday through Sunday from 5:30pm to 10:30pm.
- Provides virtual and in-person reference service to groups and individuals.
- Promotes library services and assists in general circulation services.
- Participates in library outreach programs and conducts library tours.
- Provides library instruction and actively participates in the development and design of classes on use of the library and its resources.
- Collaborates with other library staff in planning expected learning outcomes and promoting resources.
- Develops electronic instructional materials for a variety of subjects, classes and specific assignments.
- Engages in collection development and management in assigned subject areas.
- Position may require evening and weekend hours.
- Collects and researches data
- Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Consistently demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior congruent with Christian values in all transactions and relationships; Adheres to the regulatory and legal environment of higher education; Is openly accountable for actions, decisions and outcomes; Contributes to sustained profitability by establishing realistic goals and effectively managing resources; A commitment to Christian ideals, philosophy, and direction of the University as stated through its mission and vision, integrating faith into his or her discipline.
- Interacts cooperatively and constructively with all constituents; Exhibits the highest standards of dedication and commitment to quality service to meet or exceed student requirements; consistently conveys a positive attitude toward constituents; Demonstrates continual focus on student-centered learning and retention and learner needs.
- Other duties as assigned
- ALA-Accredited master's degree in library and information studies OR currently enrolled in an ALA-Accredited master's degree program in library and information studies.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Provide a positive example to students by supporting the University’s Doctrinal Statement, Ethical Position Statement and Mission of Grand Canyon University.