This position will be located at the Downtown Library Branch. The work days of the week will vary and could include weekends. Additionally, the work hours could include days and evenings. The City of Chandler offers an excellent benefits package.
The City of Chandler, Arizona, has an employment opportunity for a part time Library Aide. This position will perform a wide variety of technical and clerical library work related to such activities as cataloging, circulation, acquisitions, and assisting patrons. The Library Aide position differs from the Library Assistant position in level of responsibility and associated skill set required. The Library Aide performs general clerical and technical work while the Library Assistant performs paraprofessional library work associated with a specialized library function or program. Additionally, the successful candidate will be expected to multi-task in a “busy” work environment.
The Chandler Public Library system strives to assist all citizens in obtaining information to meet their diverse personal, educational and professional needs. Library users have the opportunity to meet and interact with others, or sit quietly and read in an approachable and inviting environment, with high-speed access to the digital world. Chandler Public Library provides a wealth of resources, in a variety of formats, so library users of all ages can explore topics of personal interest and continue to learn throughout their lives.
The Library Aide is responsible for: (list is not exhaustive)
- Orders and receives new library materials;
- Assists patrons with locating books and other materials or use of library equipment;
- Establishes and maintains records of transactions, including financial transactions;
- Uses a variety of on-line ordering systems;
- Creates, edits, and renews customer accounts;
- Works in call center and at customer service desk;
- Charges and discharges items and processes holds;
- Answers questions and provides service for general reference questions for customers;
- Responds to telephone inquiries;
- Collects overdue fines and processes lost book payments;
- Places, removes, and processes customer reserves and calls patrons for holds;
- Processes damaged items and prepares associated bills;
- Searches shelves for items claimed returned;
Minimum Job Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED equivalency; and
- One (1) year customer service experience involving frequent public contact; or
- Consideration will be given to any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the
required knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- Experience with the public in a customer service setting, in a busy environment;
- Experience in a library setting with an automated library system.