This position will perform a variety of clerical library work in support of activities such as patron assistant, account maintenance and technical services.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Search, edit and input data into the automated library system; review accuracy of input data; research and resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare print and non-print library materials for introduction into the library collection in accordance with the USMARC bibliographic format; assign classification numbers and subject headings to bibliographic records
- Add, maintain, and delete bibliographic, authority, and holdings records in the library’s database; identify and resolve inconsistencies in the database; update and assign cross-references to authority headings in the database.
- Process, ship and receive interlibrary loan requests; receive and process reserve requests; maintain interlibrary loan and reserve records; notify library users when materials are available.
- Perform the more difficult and complex work involved in the acquisition of library materials including submitting orders electronically to vendors
- Answer questions and provide information about general library services;
- Assist patrons in the use of library technology equipment and basic computing functions.
Requires the equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Requires experience involving frequent public contact in a service or sales capacity; and basic computer skills including word processing. Experience in automated library systems as well as cash handling experience is desirable.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.