Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists Accounting Manager in the development of account management structures and budget loads, including account/transaction coding and assignment of funding; authorizes and approves expenditures; approves and/or prepares various financial documents, including invoice preparation for rendered library services; determines funding and expenditure decisions based on budget projections; advises on compliance with Libraries and University policies and procedures and industry best practices; reconciles financial transactions monthly to ensure proper coding of transactions using established Libraries account management structures.
- Assists Accounting Manager in developing, producing and analyzing a variety of monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to provide an accurate and transparent picture of the Libraries’ financial position for various audiences. Works with various stakeholders to supply appropriate reports and analytical tools for budget forecasting.
- Prepares budget recommendations for assigned work unit and monitors or administers budget throughout the year.
- Adjusts to changing needs of university and libraries operations or need to provide specialized or individualized reports.
- Trains staff and student employees and manages performance.
- Reviews accounting and reporting systems, procedures and completed assignments of other staff to ensure compliance with university or outside agency regulations.
- Works to develop rapport and effective working relationships with other departments and staff in the Libraries, demonstrating the Libraries organizational values.
- Keeps up-to-date on any relevant University policies and procedures. Recommends, establishes or revises departmental procedures or operating policies; updates related departmental manuals.
- Assists with special, departmental or library-wide initiatives or projects, including those of a complex nature.
- Participates in the review and redesign of work processes for streamlining and effectiveness.
- Provides back-up support for department staff during absences.
- The UA Libraries support the UA’s diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiatives designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The candidate is expected to support diversity and inclusiveness efforts in the department and college.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and procedures, including those specific to the University of Arizona.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to successfully develop and maintain good working relationships with colleagues and customers.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to use good judgement and solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, responding positively to unanticipated changes.
- Excellent Initiative, organizational, time management, and follow through skills.
- Optimistic, flexible, can-do attitude.
- Ability to effectively prioritize workload.
- Skill in preparing detailed reports on a timely basis.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office applications and ability to acquire new software skills.
- Knowledge of Library Services Platforms or other library resource management systems.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Excel (i.e. ability to create pivot tables and complex formulas).
- Proven skills in financial analysis and decision-making.
- Proven skills in applying budgetary and financial management practices and principles.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting AND three years of professional accounting experience; OR, Seven years progressively responsible and diverse accounting experience and coursework which included at least three years professional accounting in which a broad exposure to all areas of accounting and accounting principles, practices and procedures was acquired; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and the ability to work independently with minimal direction and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with UAccess Financials, Analytics, and Employee systems.
- Proven ability in preparing financial reports and performing independent analyses, presenting data, and making recommendations in a variety of formats, including written narrative analyses, charts, graphs, etc.
- Experience working with a Library Services Platform or other library resource management system.
- Experience providing training and performance management.