This position will perform a variety of professional librarian duties in the adult services department. Primary responsibilities will be for reference, readers advisory, technology support, programming, selection and weeding for adult audiences. This position must also have the ability to work with youth and teen services as needed.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Educate library patrons, individually and in groups, in the use of electronic resources, including the library’s webpage, catalog, research databases and online downloadable resources;
- Provide answers to reference and readers advisory questions in person, over the phone and through electronic forums;
- Assist in the maintenance of web pages for Library website and Library intranet site;
- Organize, maintain, and index a variety of reference materials including online resources, government documents, maps, catalogs, and microforms;
- Evaluate collection; identify materials that need to be replaced, added, or weeded;
- Assist in the development, implementation and updating of selection guidelines and procedures.
Both levels: Requires the possession of a Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited college or university.
Librarian I: Some library experience is highly desirable.
Librarian II: Requires two years of experience performing professional library work which may include specialty areas as required.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.