Youth Library Support Staff - Tempe
Experience and Training:
- Experience working with young adult and children’s literature is highly desirable.
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings.
- Ability to communicate courteously and effectively with the public on all age levels and cultural backgrounds, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to perform routine duties as assigned with minimal supervision.
- Ability to follow verbal and/or written instructions.
- Ability to work under stress and handle stressful situations.
- Ability to operate tools and equipment listed: time clock, book cart, online registration.
- Ability to plan and organize daily work, programs and special projects.
- Computer literate.
- Problem-solving skills and demonstrated creativity, initiative, and enthusiasm.
- One year experience working with children and one year of customer service experience is preferred.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conducts library programs focused on children’s programming.
- Conducts library tours.
- Conducts outreach services at schools and city events.
- Serve at a service desk; research and respond to routine questions from library users; refer complex questions or reference questions to Librarians I/II.
- Performs all aspects of summer reading including: registering participants in online summer reading program; interacting with children, teen and adults, as they return to be awarded incentives and prizes; maintaining records of progress.
- Supervise youth volunteers.
- Engage library customers in conversation about reading.
- Helps with all the program preparations, coverage and assist at various events.
- Helps maintain youth and teen areas (supplies and displays).
- Creates and maintains web-based booklists.
- Collects, records, and reports appropriate statistics.
- Provides shelving and other clerical assistance as needed.
- Assists with general library duties and special projects as needed.
- Highly Qualified candidates will have a degree or certification in a Youth related field such as education or child development
- Preferred candidates may be seeking such degrees
- High School Diploma required