Performs administrative and supervisory work involved in the management and operations of assigned library service area within the district library system.
Library Director or Assistant Library Director.
Supervision is exercised directly, or through subordinate supervisory personnel, over a staff of clerical, technical paraprofessional, and professional support personnel.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, organizes and directs staff in general library techniques, reference and readers' advisement, circulation, programming, collection development and maintenance, cataloging and acquisitions services, electronic services and systems, and related activities.
- Selects, hires, supervises and evaluates the work of subordinates both directly as well as through subordinate supervisors. Participates in the ongoing training and development of staff at the district level.
- Prepares, administers and monitors assigned portions of the budget; assuring efficient and economical utilization of resources in relation to assigned division.
- Contributes to and promotes cooperation and coordination of effort between the library service area assignment and the rest of the library district.
- Works with library administration to develop goals and objectives for local service area as well as district wide long range planning.
- Assists in the development, coordination and implementation of district policies and procedures. Supports and supervises the implementation of District wide policies and procedures and interprets and applies Library policies and procedures for patrons and staff.
- Directs the circulation and library materials handling functions to ensure that materials move efficiently through the branch and throughout the library district.
- Attends and participates in library meetings, workshops and conferences on all levels, as required and as resources permit.
- Establishes and maintains effective community contacts and relationships.
- Supervises the collection, maintenance, and timely submission of records, reports and statistical data as required by the district library.
- Provides input and oversees the development and maintenance of assigned branch library collections; ensures collection materials appropriately meet the needs of local patrons.
- Ensures that building and grounds of the assigned library are properly maintained. Coordinates building and equipment maintenance, janitorial services and repairs.
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Researches, prepares and administers grants.
Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited School of Library Science.
Five (5) years of library experience in a progressively responsible position, including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
Provide acceptable three (3) year driving history at no cost to the County.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Principles and practices of library operation including administration, personnel and facility management and library system organization and functions, reference sources or materials in the area of specialty.
- Standard office practices and record keeping.
- Computing literacy involving on-line and automated systems and personal computers and related peripheral equipment.
- Customer service principles and best practices.
- Use of English, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Operating relevant computer systems and applications, including the integrated library system, hardware and software, office machines, and peripheral equipment to perform work assignments.
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Identify community library service needs and develop and implement library programs to provide appropriate library services.
- Plan, organize, coordinate and manage the work of professional, paraprofessional, technical and clerical support staff in various activities.
- Coordinate collection development and maintenance, materials processing and preservation.
- Effectively speak before community groups and other civic organizations and utilize public relations and media skills for presentations, publicity flyers and introduction of programs.
- Identify, analyze and resolve problems at all levels.
- Appraise and select appropriate materials for the Library collection.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with library system staff, community groups, and other professional contacts.
- Prepare and manage assigned budgets.
- Exercise judgment and discretion in matters of policy and procedure design and implementation; make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Personnel Policies and department procedures.