The digital user experience (UX) specialist is dedicated to improving the digital experience for library users. They partner with colleagues to conduct user research, identify themes and insights, and make recommendations for changes to library websites and digital products. They enjoy and have experience designing user-friendly websites and digital products for real people, mocking up prototypes, iterating on solutions, and thriving in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment. They consult on UX methodologies and work on a variety of projects across the Libraries, a diverse organization with ten departments and over 200 employees.
They serve as website product manager for the UA Libraries, providing oversight to several (mostly Drupal-based) websites and ensuring that colleagues make user-centered content and design decisions. They chair the Website Steering Group, the cross-departmental team that is charged with improving the content and functionality of library websites. They also provide leadership by identifying areas of improvement to our web-based search and discovery tools within the Oversight Group for the Library Services Platform.
A UX generalist with digital expertise, this person loves design challenges and is dedicated to improving the experience and success of UA students, faculty, and staff. Working on a small (yet mighty), flexible UX team that is centrally housed within Library Administration, they enjoy creative problem-solving and learning something new every day.
Visit the University Libraries website to learn more about us.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide vision and guidance for library websites, advocating for the best user experience.
- Provide leadership by improving upon our web-based search and discovery experiences as part of the Library Services Platform Oversight Group.
- Provide UX expertise to product managers, decision makers, and stakeholders of various library digital platforms (e.g. Health Sciences Library website, Special Collections website, LibGuides, Confluence).
- Manage projects that impact the digital user experience.
- Assess and improve upon the inclusivity and accessibility of our digital products.
- Design information architecture patterns and navigation systems that work well for end users.
- Develop resources for staff across the library who want to improve the digital user experience (e.g. trainings, templates, recruitment support, competitive analysis).
- Partner with colleagues at the Health Sciences Library and Special Collections websites to provide an integrated user experience.
- Partner with the Marketing & Communications team on content and design efforts, including branding, messaging, and workflows.
- Partner with the User Experience Strategist and the Analytics & Assessment Librarian to identify user research needs, prioritize projects, improve existing services, and make decisions in the best interest of our users.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate user research to inform decision-making, including user interviews, usability testing, card sorting, and tree testing.
- Oversee and improve upon Tiny Café, the library’s regular fixture for lightweight user research.
Web Quality Assurance, Content Management, and Analytics
- Use Siteimprove, Google Analytics, and other analytics and quality assurance tools to provide ongoing support for and improvement of website content and architecture; provide training for content managers on using analytics and quality assurance tools.
- Collect, compile, and present web analytics data to help inform decisions.
- Update and make improvement to web pages assigned to the website product manager; schedule and manage banner announcements.
- Support the work of library staff by auditing, editing, and updating content as requested or needed.
Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Empathy for students, faculty, staff, and colleagues.
- Excellent facilitation and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of user-centered design principles and accessibility standards.
- Knowledge of library tools, such as Primo/Alma, LibGuides, LibChat, LibAnswers, and LibInsight.
- Thrives in working in a highly collaborative and inclusive environment, one that values and leverages the benefits of diverse perspectives.
- Positive attitude and strong demonstration of Our Values: Collaboration, Continuous Learning, Diversity, Innovation, and Integrity.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
- Five years of progressively responsible web site design and/or development experience; OR, Associate’s degree in a related field AND four years of web site design and/or development experience; OR, Bachelor’s degree in a related field AND two years of web site design and/or development experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- 2+ years’ experience with UX research or methodologies.
- Experience with project management and facilitation.
- Experience with coordinating work across diverse groups of collaborators.
- Commitment to design thinking practices and principles, including building empathy, designing human-centered systems, and iterating on solutions.
- Experience designing and conducting UX research, including user interviews and usability testing.
- Experience writing and editing inclusive, accessible, plain-language website content with users in mind.
- Experience with user-focused project methodologies including empathy mapping, user journey mapping, and persona development.
- Experience synthesizing and communicating research findings to a broad audience.
- Experience visualizing ideas and data, telling stories, and advocating for user needs.
- Experience with Drupal and collaborating with web development and design teams.
- Proficiency in Google Analytics, Siteimprove, or other web analytics tools.
- Proficiency in Balsamiq, Sketch, Adobe XD, or other prototyping tools.
- Experience working in or with libraries, museums, educational institutions, and/or non-profits.
- Experience working in highly collaborative environments with competing priorities and diverse perspectives.