ABOUT THIS POSITION
Phoenix Public Library serves a diverse multi-ethnic clientele of over 4.8 million people, with a central library and 16 branches. The library offers collections in multiple languages, a full range of cutting edge electronic resources and customer focused public services. PPL is a large system seeking motivated candidates to advance their career opportunities through a pathway designed for upward mobility. We offer a variety of development opportunities for supervisors through leadership and mentor programs. Join this innovative team today!
Librarians II perform professional library work and are responsible for providing innovative and creative approaches to goal setting, planning, customer service, age level programming, information services, readers advisory and system wide committee work. Librarians II are hired for system wide positions and are required to move throughout the system based upon operational needs. Supervision is exercised over professional, paraprofessional, technical, and clerical level staff. Branch Library positions serve as Assistant Managers and Central Library positions serve as collection or program specialists. Phoenix Public Library is currently hiring for one vacancy at our Juniper Branch with an adult focus.
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple regular full-time positions throughout the Phoenix area over the life of the eligible list.
First review of applications will occur the week of June 25, 2018. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA plan; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Unit 7 Benefits
- Two years of progressively responsible library experience including one year of professional library work (equivalent to Librarian I level).
- Master’s degree in Library Science or other field.
- Positions will require the use of personal or City vehicles on City business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver's license and have an acceptable driving record.
- Only the highest qualified will be posted to the eligible to hire list.
- The City job description can be found here
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Includes the job requirements listed above, plus:
- Two years of experience creating and delivering programs and/or training to staff or customers in a library environment of which one year is in adult programming.
- One year of supervisory experience including supervising, training, evaluating and providing effective leadership to professional, paraprofessional, technical and clerical level staff.
- At least three years of demonstrated customer service experience.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish.
- One year experience coordinating outreach with individuals and groups within the community to assess needs and develop cooperative services to meet those needs.
- Demonstrated ability with mobile devices, eBooks, eMedia resources, and technology.
- One year of experience working in a team environment.