The East Flagstaff Community Library location is a small branch library that serves a diverse population with a very large after school demographic. EFCL is looking for a dynamic, energetic, and innovative individual intent on providing outstanding customer service, reducing barriers to library access, leading our awesome staff, maintaining thriving community relations, and taking pride in being a part of the EFCL team.
Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direct supervision of the Deputy Library Director employees of this class are expected to exercise considerable independent decision making and authority including day-to-day operations, management, and supervision of an assigned library area or separate library facility.
- Supervisory: This job has full responsibility for supervision at the program level (hires, directs, schedules, transfers, promotes, rewards, disciplines, and terminates other employees.)
- Budgetary: This job has partial responsibility for budgeting at the program level including staying within the assigned budget parameters.
- Strategic Planning: This job has partial responsibility for strategic planning at the program level including assessing community needs and setting long and short-term goals for the library area.
- Policies/Procedures: This job has partial responsibility for policies and procedures at the program level including developing, implementing, and interpreting policies and procedures related to the library area.
- Compliance: This job has partial responsibility at the program level for overseeing and ensuring facility and staff are in compliance.
- Council Communications: This job has partial responsibility for Council communication at the program level including making presentations regarding a library area.
- Reporting: This job has partial responsibility for reporting at the program level including preparing monthly reports for programming, grants, volunteer hours, and computer usage related to the library area.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Responsible for an area of the library including scheduling employees, handling incidents, scheduling tours and programs, and providing general guidance.
- Assists patrons and staff with questions, computer issues, and research.
- Handles emergencies and difficult situations.
- Maintains and distributes community information.
- Takes the lead role on more complex issues.
- Selects and deselects materials (assesses library’s needs and orders appropriate materials).
- Assesses needs and develops a programming plan.
- Performs outreach, carries out planning, develops programming, maintains statistics, manages programs, and assigns programming work.
- Ensures adequate computer access (analyzes and assesses needs for quantity and functioning of PCs).
- Oversees, coordinates, and develops printed materials and social media.
- Prepares book displays and public service announcements.
- Writes grants, maintains statistics, and post reports.
- Purchases some materials (including programming materials) and requests to purchase office supplies.
- Checks materials in and out, issues library cards, sells merchandise, accepts payments, and empties book drops and may courier items and empty book drops.
- Ensures safety and welfare of library users as well as building safety and maintenance, (East Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Tuba City, and Forest Lakes Community Library positions only).
- Supervises PALS Mobile (Youth Services position only).
- May handle library accounts and budgeting in relation to the library’s collection.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science.
- Two years of experience working in a public library.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Two years of computer experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Knowledge about the local community and its resources.
Knowledge of and experience with collection development/maintenance.
Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
Evening and weekend work as necessary.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to use hands or fingers to feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Pre-employment physical requirements for this position include: fingerprints
There are no pre-employment testing requirements for this position.
There are no pre-employment vaccination requirements for this position.
Range 110, B-3-1, FLSA exempt
PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
PRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: FINGERPRINTS