Desert Foothills Library, Cave Creek, AZ
Technical Services Librarian (Part time, 30 hours)
Are you a motivated Librarian looking to contribute to a unique Library? Do you thrive in a flexible and entrepreneuarial environment where you can make a real contribution to the success of the organization? Are you looking for an opportunity to be innovative while providing outstanding customer service to people in the community?
If so, the Desert Foothills Library could have the ideal opportunity for you.
The Desert Foothills Library is a single branch 501(c) 3 nonprofit organization. Located in downtown Cave Creek, we serve the Town together with Carefree and areas of North Scottsdale and North Phoenix. Annual materials circulation is approximately 100,000. The Library has recently completed an investment of $2.5 million in improvements to the facility, including a new parking structure, expansion to the building and remodel of existing space to provide additional meeting rooms and a much more user-friendly environment.
We are recruiting a Technical Services Librarian to work on traditional library duties and also be part of our thriving bookstore and Passport Acceptance Office. The successful applicant will be self-driven; a team player; have the ability to multi-function; be flexible with regard to work hours; have a positive and friendly attitude and have exceptional interpersonal customer service skills.
Because the Library is a privately funded 501(c) 3 nonprofit, relationships with patrons, many of whom are personal donors, are an essential element of all staff roles within the organization.
We offer a competitive hourly salary together with immediate health benefits and a 403 b pension plan after a probationary period.
Applications should be in writing by email to Executive Director, David Court, at [email protected] Please attach a resume.
Basic Function: As an employee of the Desert Foothills Library Association, acquire, organize and preserve all kinds of library materials.
Responsibilities, in order of priority:
With limited supervision:
- Purchase materials for the library.
- Acquisition of materials for the library based on mission and audience.
- Catalog the description of materials in the library providing access for users and staff through the online catalog, including original cataloging to RDA best practices.
- Assist in the operation of Chapter 2 Books, the library’s used book store.
- Learn the function of the Passport Office and train to be a Passport Acceptance Agent.
- Provide reference and reader service.
- Represent the library on automation committees and serve as the library database supervisor
- Assist in the performance of the function of Manager on Duty.
- Cooperate with staff by working schedules that may include evenings and weekends and follow every principle of working as a team to support the library mission and vision.
- Establish and maintain a positive, effective and cooperative working relationship with patrons, staff and volunteers, as well as the Board, business community leaders, and the public.
- Input to the Library’s website and promote the visibility of the Library in the community electronically via social media and other electronic means.
- As necessary, respond to inquiries and complaints of patrons.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong, effective communicator.
- Oral and written communications for administrative and presentation purposes.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of a public library.
- Considerable ability to administer the bibliographic maintenance function and technical and circulation operations.
- Thorough knowledge of reference tools and procedures.
- Experience working in a flexible, employee empowering work environment.
- Positive, cooperative and effective attitude and working relationships. A team player.
- Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 25 pounds and move furniture without body stress.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
- Masters Degree in Library Science or a Masters Degree in a related field from an accredited college or university is desirable, but not essential.