The library team at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus (PBC) invites applicants to apply for a rewarding career on a growing health sciences campus. As part of the AHSL- Phoenix team, this individual will provide library assistance to students, staff, and faculty of the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University, as well as community patrons. LIAs are the library’s front-line customer service personnel and staff the front desk during all public service hours.
Note: This position will have a non-traditional work schedule which includes evenings and weekends.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix anchors the 28-acre Phoenix Biomedical Campus in the heart of the Valley of the Sun. The College inspires and trains individuals to become exemplary physicians, scientists and leaders who are life-long learners and inquisitive scholars. We embrace professionalism, innovation and collaboration to optimize health and health care for all. The Phoenix Biomedical Campus embodies the University’s priorities of engagement, partnership, innovation, and synergy in its world-class academic and research initiatives, with clinical facilities throughout Greater Phoenix. The campus also houses the UA Colleges of Public Health, Pharmacy, and Nursing, as well as Northern Arizona University’s College of Health and Human Services, the Translational Genomics Research Institute (TGen) and the International Genomics Consortium.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona, please click here.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates primary activities in a major library unit.
- Participates in cross-functional, regularly recurring, complex assignments such as cataloging, reference, document delivery or vendor relations.
- Trains students and/or assists in training staff in assigned area.
- Participates in decision-making assignments on cross-functional teams.
- Initiates problem solving by facilitating group efforts at process improvement, coordinating and facilitating meetings, making formal and informal presentations and collecting data based on technical expertise.
- Collects, enters and reports data as assigned.
- Participates in selection and developmental review committees.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of library practices, procedures and resources.
- Knowledge of automated library information systems.
- Knowledge of basic data collection and information research methods.
- May require knowledge of a foreign language, depending on assignment.
- Knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email and internet search engine software.
- Skill in using library reference techniques and resources.
- Skill in facilitating meetings and delivering presentations.
- Skill in the use of personal computer/software.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
Must be available to work a non-traditional work schedule which includes evenings and weekends.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree AND two years related library experience; OR six years related library experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Experience providing front-line customer service to library users in person and via phone and email.
- Experience opening and closing library following established procedures.
- Ability to enforce library policies regarding food, noise, and behavior.
- Proficiency completing special projects such as shelf reading as assigned by librarians.
- Familiarity with maintaining inventories of library supplies and materials.