POSITION: Librarian REPORTS TO: Town Manager
SALARY RANGE: CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Management level position that reports to the Town Manager and is accountable for the daily operation of the Library. Performs a variety of administrative and supervisory work and complex clerical work in planning, organizing and implementing the programs and services of the library system.
This position works with considerable freedom of action yet must work within the confines of the policies and direction of the Town Manager. Supervises, coordinates and performs a variety of complex professional and administrative tasks in planning, developing, directing and managing the Town of Miami’s Library.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED/EXERCISED: Supervised by and receives administrative direction from the Town Manager. The Librarian exercises supervision over the Library Assistant as well as any library volunteers.
TYPICAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: The following duties and responsibilities are normal for this position: The omission of specific statements of the duties and responsibilities of this position does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related or logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required or assigned by the Town Manager.
- Selecting, acquiring, cataloguing, classifying, circulating and maintaining library materials; and furnishing reference, bibliographical and readers’ advisory services.
- May perform in-depth, strategic research and synthesize, analyze, edit and filter information.
- Set up or work with databases and information systems to catalogue and access information.
- Develop and maintain library policies and procedures.
- Respond to customer complaints and take action as necessary.
- Review and evaluate materials, using book reviews, catalogs and current holdings to select and order print, audiovisual and electronic resources.
- Organize collections of books, publications, documents, audiovisual aids and other reference materials for convenient access.
- Arrange for interlibrary loans of materials not available in the library.
- Coordinates library development and fund raising; solicits and accepts gifts for the library.
- Promotes interest in library programs through publicity, program brochures, cooperation with various community groups and public contacts.
- Prepares a variety of reports and maintains necessary operating records.
- Maintains liaison with other departments as well as state, local, and other public officials.
- Schedules and organizes various special library activities throughout the year such as book sales, reading programs, etc.
- Assists staff in the performance of their duties as required.
- Assures that assigned areas of responsibility are performed within budget; performs cost control activities; monitors revenues and expenditures in assigned area to assure sound fiscal control; prepares annual budget requests; assures effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, personnel, materials, facilities and time.
- Degree in library science, liberal arts, public administration or a closely related field.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in library operations, including two years in a supervisory capacity.
- However, any equivalent combination of education and experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance will be considered.
Skills and Knowledge of:
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of modern library systems and programs.
- Thorough knowledge of library collection classification and selection techniques.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment and facilities required in a comprehensive library system.
- Considerable knowledge of community library needs and resources.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of office management, work organization and supervision.
- Skill and knowledge in operation of modern library technology, tools and equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement a comprehensive library system.
- Ability to coordinate analyze and utilize a variety of reports and records.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, Town Manager, Town Council and other agencies and the public.
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion within the timelines established.
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License.
- Must sign an Internal Confidentiality Statement.
- Must pass a drug, alcohol and background check.
The noise level in the work environment is generally quiet.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to operate, finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.