ASU Library is seeking a highly motivated, knowledgeable Web Application Developer Sr. within Discovery Services. The incumbent in this position will work closely and collaboratively with users and librarians to design, create, develop, enhance and maintain web content, tools, functionality and format based on requests and in support of library goals. This individual will configure, support, and administer library web applications and instructional technology applications such as Drupal web sites, LibGuides, Omeka, and other related web applications.
- Develops new web tools and applications
- Provides technical consultative suggestions and recommendations to users for continued enhancements to web content and informational areas
- Works closely with users to understand requirements, security needs; develops and presents initial design ideas and associated tools, tests functionality to ensure objectives are achieved; integrates user developed content
- Identifies and troubleshoots errors and/or problems with web based applications; works collaboratively with involved stakeholders to facilitate timely resolution; escalates as appropriate
- Participates as team member in a wide variety of projects to develop and improve routine procedures through use of innovative and technology supported solutions; prepares associated documentation and end-user training
- Remains abreast of technology directions, initiatives and trends within scope of expertise to provide ideas, guidance and recommendations
- Provides technical support in the production of multimedia-based layouts, graphics, animations, video and sound; designs web interfaces and develops layout design/content; selects illustrative materials for use ensuring consistency, accuracy and compliance with all standards.
- Prepares training materials and associated documentation.
Bachelor's degree Information Technology, Computer Science or closely related. 5 years web, graphic design and database including creating and updating table structures and views as well as CSS development.
- Experience administering, configuring, updating, and customizing content management systems (Drupal or WordPress preferred)
- Experience assessing and implementing accessible web applications according to standard guidelines, such as WCAG 2.0
- Experience integrating various systems through APIs
- Experience with a version-control system such as Git or Subversion
- Demonstrated knowledge of the LAMP stack or similar technology stacks
- Demonstrated knowledge with library-related web applications including Libguides, Primo, and Omeka
- Experience integrating learning objects within a Learning Management System (Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas, etc.)
- Evidence of effective communication and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated knowledge utilizing user centered design methodologies and usability principles
- Experience in working in a collaborative team environment
- Experience in learning and staying abreast of developments in web and application coding and best practices
- Experience with security best practices, including OWASP
Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, walking. Visual acuity and manual dexterity associated with daily use of desktop computer; bending, stooping, reaching and lifting up to 20 pounds. Ability to clearly communicate verbally in English, read, write, see, and hear to perform essential duties. Regular review of completed tasks.