Actively supports and upholds the City’s stated mission and values. Under direct supervision of the Library Supervisor, employees of this classification coordinate front desk operations. Specific work tasks may vary depending on area of assignment.
- Supervisory: This job does not have formal supervisory responsibilities.
- Budgetary: This job does not have budgetary responsibilities, but carries out day-to-day activities within approved budget.
- Strategic Planning: This job does not have strategic planning responsibilities, but carries out day-to-day activities in order to reach the stated goals and objectives.
- Policies/Procedures: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Compliance: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Federal, State, and Local laws, rules, and regulations as well as City policies and procedures.
- Council Communications: This job carries out day-to-day activities in accordance with Council’s adopted priorities and direction.
- Reporting: This job does not have duties related to reporting to Federal/State/Local agencies.
EXAMPLES OF THE WORK PERFORMED (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Checks materials in and out, traps holds, routs material belonging to other branches and libraries to the appropriate locations, and sorts finished book trucks according to Dewey Decimal rules.
- Issues library cards.
- Sells merchandise.
- Accepts payments for lost/damaged items.
- May clear accounts.
- Runs reports.
- Acts as the courier between the East Flagstaff and Downtown Library on a rotating basis.
- Empties indoor and outdoor book drops 2-3 times a day, which involves transferring library material by hand from the drop to a wheeled bin and pushing that bin to the Circulation Workroom to be processed.
- Audits returned items to verify materials are complete and not damaged. Troubleshoots issues with damaged or missing items by contacting patrons, and reports issues to Library Specialist.
- Answers basic directional questions and refers non-circulation related inquiries to the appropriate department(s).
- Works with other library employees to address behavioral issues that occur on library property, including emergencies involving EMTs, Fire, & Police.
- May pull and place holds for patrons, make calls, run hold reports, and maintain customer requests shelf.
- May mend materials and maintain material quality.
- Other duties as assigned.
East Flagstaff Community Library
- May assist patrons with computer issues and/or research.
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Two years of customer service experience.
- Or any combination of education, experience, and training equivalent to the above Minimum Requirements.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- Experience working in a library.
- Knowledge of books and authors.
- Must possess, or obtain upon employment, a valid Arizona driver’s license.
- Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends as assigned.
- Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY)
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, operate a cash register and provide accurate change for purchases and payments to the library.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to appropriately handle problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the public, in-person, by phone, or in writing, resolve disputes or misunderstandings and uphold library policies.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence and communicate effectively with other library and City of Flagstaff employees.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to finger/handle/feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit; and the employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and regularly push fully loaded book trucks and book return bins that weigh more than 100 pounds.
- Vision requirements for this position include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Working conditions include occasional exposure to outdoor weather conditions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Range 4, A-1-3, FLSA non-exempt
Monday – Friday; Some nights, weekends, and holidays may be required; Hours vary up to 40 hours;