Located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, Scottsdale, Arizona is bordered by Phoenix to the west and the McDowell Mountains on the east. Scottsdale is annually rated among the nation's most desirable communities to live in, visit and do business in. Check out more about Scottsdale.
To learn more about working for the City of Scottsdale and meet a few of our employees, click here.
About The Position
The Library Director provides the highest level of executive leadership and comprehensive administration to the Scottsdale Public Library system. Serves as an innovative and inspiring leader within the library, city government and community.
Exercises administrative supervision over all staff, professional and non-professional (104 staff) in five branches. Has full responsibility for developing vision/mission driven services, developing the annual budget and maintaining customer centric standards for all programs and services.
Selection Process: Applicants whose education, training and experience most closely meet the needs of the position may be invited to participate in a selection process to include a panel interview. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include:
- Criminal Background screening for the past 7 year
- Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience
< >A Master's degree in Library Science, Business Administration, Public Administration or a related field from an accredited institution.
Seven years experience in responsible library work, administration or a related field. Five years experience in program management and supervision.
Performs duties and responsibilities commensurate with assigned functional area which may include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Responsible for delivering the total range of library services, programs and activities to library users.
- Study community needs and appropriate library methods and makes plans to develop the services of the library system to more effectively meet the needs of the community.
- Investigate new library techniques and procedures and revises present methods to improve services.
- Listen and communicate effectively with other officials, employees, volunteers, citizens, Library Advisory Board, Friends of the Library, clubs and other community organizations explaining the library system, objectives, policies, services and goals.
- Prepare, control, plan and implement the library's budget.
- Supervise and be responsible for overall management of staff including training, scheduling, hiring decisions, and written performance evaluations.
- Work Environment/Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position or that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
< >Most work is performed in a normal City office environment with occasional work performed in a library service desk environment.
Lift and carry materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
Operate a variety of standard office equipment including a computer, laptop and/or tablet PC, telephone, e-reader, calculator, cash register, bar code reader, copy and fax machines requiring continuous and repetitive arm, hand and eye movement.
Travel to/from meetings and various locations.
Click here to review the entire job description.
The City of Scottsdale reserves the right to change this process at any time.