Ranked #1 for innovation two years in a row by U.S. News and World Report, Arizona State University has become the foundational model for a new paradigm for public higher education – committed to access, excellence and impact – and is now actively engaged in building a new library for the 21st century. ASU Library, serving as a critical gateway to ASU’s growing research and knowledge enterprise, works to collaborate, educate and innovate across disciplines, communities and technologies, while leveraging key research and learning opportunities that are unique to ASU.
ASU Library is seeking a highly motivated, knowledgeable Library Services Systems Administrator to work with Discovery Services, under the direction of the Systems Analyst, Principal. This individual will collaborate with staff in the ASU Library and branches in the support and administration of the shared Ex Libris Alma library service platform /ILS and Primo discovery service and related integrated library and enterprise applications. The incumbent in this position is responsible for assisting with the daily maintenance and operation of the Alma/Primo platform and on technical projects with third party integrations affecting library systems.
- Essential Duties
- Works with the Systems Analyst, Principal and other library staff in maintenance and support of the Alma/Primo platforms.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of the overall direction and strategies for the development of these automated systems and delivers efficient service.
- Assists with user management tasks including regular audits of user permissions.
- Works closely with library staff to survey library systems requirements in order to interpret and define needs.
- Provides information to library staff about what is available and possible in the library services platform.
- Analyzes workflows and resolves system issues.
- Coordinates with library staff to resolve problems.
- Works with system vendors to track and resolve problems that cannot be addressed in-house.
- Provides regular reports to users concerning reported, pending and resolved issues.
- Works with users, library staff, and university staff to integrate external systems with the Alma/Primo platforms.
- Consults with users and Information Technology personnel in solving problems relating to existing system policies, procedures, operations and/or technical systems and implements approved solutions.
- Creates, reviews, and revises training materials and documentation for library staff.
- Provides training for new and revised procedures and functionality as required.
- Maintains knowledge of relevant technology tools sufficient to answer customer questions about use, to recommend configuration to meet specific needs, and to solve a wide variety of troubleshooting problems.
- Maintains knowledge of functional automated software and current advances in technologies that would enhance the functional performance of the system.
- Demonstrates knowledge of process improvement methods and approaches.
- Identifies and resolves problems with computer hardware and software products.
- Uses application software to develop custom products.
- Develops and delivers instruction and training.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships.
- Works effectively in a team environment.
Bachelor's Degree in related field or four years server/network experience in a large academic library, OR, any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience providing support to end users
- Experience in analyzing, documenting, and resolving system issues
- Experience in using XML, HTML, and CSS
- Oracle Business Intelligence knowledge
- Experience in assessing training requirements and creating/delivering training to other library staff/end users
- Experience in communicating with vendor support staff to report and diagnose system bugs, and provide feedback on desired functionality
- Evidence of effective interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Experience in decision-making
- Experience in using analytical skills
- Experience in overcoming obstacles to meet deadlines
- Experience in using organization and prioritization skills
- Experience supporting an integrated library system or library services platform (Ex Libris Primo/Alma preferred)
- Back end configuration experience with ILS platform
- Evidence of a Master’s Degree, Library and Information Science
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Frequent physical demands may include working in cramped and close surroundings subject to exposure to electrical connections.
- Use office equipment including a desktop computer.
- Lift and push objects of varying weights up to 50 pounds.
- Communicate to perform essential duties.
- Generally work within guidelines of established methods; and obtains, clarifies and provides information within service level referring complex issues as appropriate.
The Arizona State University, ASU Libraries is a leader in innovative customer service and in the strength of its collections; it ranks in the top 40 research libraries in North America. ASU’s programs for online-only students are growing rapidly and the library is innovating to serve that audience as well. The ASU Libraries include nine physical locations: Fletcher Library at the West campus, the Library at the Downtown Phoenix campus, the Library at the Polytechnic campus, the Library at the Thunderbird campus (International Business Information Centre – IBIC), and the four libraries on the Tempe campus: Hayden Library, Noble Science and Engineering Library, Music Library, and Architecture and Environmental Design Library. In addition, the Ross-Blakely Law Library serves the Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law. The Libraries of ASU support over 90,000 full-time and part-time students and over 3,000 faculty.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 90,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Employment Verification Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.